Refine Search Clear All
Chemistry, Material - Staff / Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Chemist/Material Scientist to perform a full range of moderate to complex research in the area of actinide processing. This position is in the Chemistry of Nuclear Materials Group in the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct moderately complex to complex research in actinide processing and recovery.
- Independently develop moderately complex to complex methods for actinide synthesis and sample preparation.
- Become a fissile material handler and perform work in gloveboxes and other contamination enclosures.
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development of actinide synthesis and processing to meet sponsor needs in appropriate national security areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Design and conduct advanced chemical synthesis and characterization of actinide samples.
- Conduct advanced research in plutonium chemistry and materials science.
- Serve as the primary technical contact on plutonium process chemistry and recovery.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, material science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad understanding in basic chemistry of the lanthanides and actinides.
- Broad experience with radioactive materials and contamination control.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience operating computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment at LLNL.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, material science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in actinide chemistry and processing.
- Significant experience in chemical and materials characterization.
- Advanced knowledge in contamination control and actinide material handling.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with chemical process design.
- Experience in material properties and characterization.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.