Refine Search Clear All
Materials Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to implement innovative experimental characterization and theoretical analysis of features formed during the production and atmospheric aging of actinide materials. You will support a multi-disciplinary team developing new forensics signatures of nuclear materials. This position will be in the Actinides and Lanthanides group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research characterizing nuclear materials to determine microstructure, chemical distribution, and morphology and their dependence on process and aging parameters
- Participate in understanding the fundamental processes of materials aging using state-of-the-art surface and bulk analysis instrumentation and techniques.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent, complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document and publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
PhD in Physical Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, or related field.
- Experience applying materials characterization techniques (e.g., XPS, SEM/EDS/EBSD, XRD, TEM) to address research questions.
- Innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and proficient at presenting at seminars and technical meetings.
- Ability to develop independent research projects.
- Proficient written, verbal, and organizational skills necessary to effectively collaborate within small and large work groups.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience combining multi-instrument data sets to interpret complex research samples
- Experience with synchrotron characterization techniques
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.