Refine Search Clear All
Polymer Chemistry - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Staff Scientist to conduct polymer testing, chemical/mechanical analysis, and document results. You will provide sample preparation, basic wet chemistry, GCMS analysis, mechanical and rheological analysis, and inventory management. This position is in the High Performance Materials group and will support the polymer aging portfolio at LLNL in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and perform basic materials characterization analyses including GCMS, DSC, TGA, and others.
- Assess the mechanical properties of polymeric materials with techniques such as rheometry, dynamic mechanical analysis, and tensile testing.
- Contribute to and participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to inform polymer materials properties via characterization techniques and analysis.
- Collaborate with scientists/engineers in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Organize, analyze, and document results in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- BS degree in chemistry, polymer science, materials science, chemical engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad practical experience with polymer characterization and testing techniques.
- Experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and graphing software.
- Ability to adapt and update skillsets in a flexible environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to document research results, and to prepare and present proposals, papers, and reports to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and to collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as required to meet research goals.
Qualifications We Desire
- MS degree in chemistry, polymer science, materials science, organic chemistry, chemical engineering or a related field.
- Willingness and ability to provide data for proposals to gain funding for either feasibility or long-term studies.
- Willingness to engage and contribute to our inclusive lab culture.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.