Refine Search Clear All
Explosive Safety Professional
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Explosive Safety Professional within the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate to provide comprehensive explosives safety support in the areas of synthesis, formulation, processing, handling, characterization, remote operations, and intentional detonation. This position requires substantial education and experience in a relevant science or technical field to provide and maintain the highest safety standards in a cutting-edge explosives research environment. You will interact with all levels of technical personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate, LLNL programs, Department of Energy (DOE) explosives enterprises and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced explosive safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment.
- Advise Laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions ranging from moderate to very complex safety-related problems and provide technical explosives safety support. Perform safety analysis and input on pilot-scale to large scale synthesis and processing of bulk explosives and formulations including analysis of vapor and dust-explosion, and other large scale chemical risks.
- Write and review technical reports, health and safety standards, procedures, drawings, and diagrams for conformance to DOE standards and other applicable requirements.
- Conduct complex safety inspections of explosives activities and evaluate hazards for compliance with Department of Energy, Department of Transportation and LLNL codes and standards.
- Critique facilities, equipment installations, and experimental designs, review process hazards and failure mode and effects analyses, conduct safety inspections of buildings, facilities, equipment, apparatus, and operations related to explosives to identify safety-related deficiencies.
- Develop novel solutions and present them to program personnel and management that rectify identified issues within the regulatory bounds.
- Review results of health and safety (H&S) compliance audits and inspections with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Investigate explosives accidents/incidents for possible causes, prepare necessary documentation and recommend appropriate measures to eliminate or mitigate reoccurrence, and provide emergency response support to safety incidents on-site.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Provide chemical engineering-based safety support and review of operations particularly in areas of large volumes of toxic and/or flammable solvents, dust and vapor hazards, explosives synthesis and processing operations.
- Provide highly complex explosives safety support to LLNL programs and operations in specific areas of assignment; develop and present safety courses in explosives safety or related topics.
- Advise laboratory scientists, engineers, and other programmatic personnel in developing solutions to highly complex safety-related problems and mentor less experiences H&S staff as necessary.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a scientific, technical related field with health and safety education or experience, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in explosives and explosives safety applicable to laboratory, pilot, and/or industrial scale research.
- Advanced knowledge of related state and federal regulations and/or other consensus standards.
- Extensive experience preparing safety plans and technical reports (e.g., Facility Safety Plans, Safety Analysis Report (SAR), Discipline Action Plans etc.), conducting safety audits and inspections, leading or reviewing process hazards analysis or failure mode analysis of complex systems, and successfully working potential compliance issues with programmatic customers, external inspectors and regulators.
- Extensive experience providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively communicate technical information to all levels of technical personnel and management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Significant knowledge and experience in explosives and explosives safety with an emphasis in large scale synthesis, formulations and/or processing with advanced knowledge in modern chemical engineering practices in the areas of synthesis, processing, or formulation of explosives.
- Significant knowledge of related state and federal regulations and/or other consensus standards.
- Expert level verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate highly complex technical information to all levels of technical personnel and management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in scientific, technical, or related field with health and safety education or experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with inspection, maintenance, manufacturing, and storage of explosives/weapons systems as well as knowledge of DOE orders.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.