Refine Search Clear All
Biomaterials - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We are seeking a dedicated and hardworking Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research at the interface between biology and materials science. You will actively participate in research to develop biomaterials for critical metal recovery from a range of source materials and across a range of scales. This position is in the systems and synthetic biology group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research at the interface of biological and materials science.
- Design and characterize cell and protein-based biomaterials.
- Develop scalable biomaterial-based methods for separation of critical metals from feed solutions
- Develop research plans, generate results, and publish peer-reviewed papers.
- Work with other scientists to write proposals and expand our program into new areas aligned with your expertise and interests.
- Write reports to funding agencies and participate in scientific conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Synthetic Biology, Chemical Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or a relevant field with a strong emphasis in biomaterials.
- Interdisciplinary training that spans biology, chemistry, and engineering (OR Broad training that spans the biological sciences and engineering).
- Experience using materials science to enhance biological function. This might include immobilization of cells or proteins in hydrogel/polymer matrices.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience in culturing bacteria and/or protein purification
- Experience with column chromatography and analytical techniques.
- Experience in bioinorganic chemistry
- Experience using synthetic biology for bio-derived material production
- Knowledge in microscopy, electron microscopy, and mass spectroscopy techniques.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.