Refine Search Clear All
Project Management Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Project Management Engineer to support the Flight Test Group. The Flight Test Group is a fast-paced, cross-disciplinary team that specializes in rapid development of reliable in-field deployable assets. You will have focus on planning and managing the deployment of these assets, commonly referred to as missions. You will be well-rounded with a broad range of knowledge and engineering experience but also have specific experience with managing teams and projects. Your primary role will be to work with customers to establish requirements for a particular mission deployment, manage the scope, budget, and schedule of the mission, and participate in its execution. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Be the primary point of contact and project management engineer between the Flight Test Group and DOE, DoD, or other sponsors for approximately two missions each year.
- Manage the scope, budget, and schedule for approximately two Flight Test Group missions each year.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to DOE, DoD, and other sponsors to provide mission planning status, risks, and reports.
- Plan, conduct, and evaluate testing activities including field tests, demonstrations, subsystems tests, etc.
- Participate in mission execution for approximately two missions each year, requiring extended travel of 2 to 6 weeks in remote locations. Travel to and attend meetings relevant to the missions.
- Lead mission execution team during mission deployment to ensure all hardware and diagnostics are functional, schedule is kept, and deliverables are met.
- Provide engineering and project management support as needed within the Flight Test Group for relevant projects.
- Contribute to the mechanical, electrical, or system design and development efforts of the Flight Test Group’s hardware suite (autonomous rafts, unmanned aircraft systems, camera systems, etc.).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Apply relevant professional experience to significantly enhance the Flight Test Group’s hardware suite.
- Perform additional project management activities including planning, technical resource management, recruitment of staff, technical mentorship, direction of work, and work closely with Flight Test customers and sponsors to secure contracts and funding.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively with internal and external customers and teams.
- Ability to generate, explain, and present technical information. Ability to manage projects including schedule, budget, and scope.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Project.
- Experience with mechanical and electrical system design and analysis.
- Adaptable, detail-oriented, and comfortable working on a small cross-disciplinary team; willingness to learn and perform work duties in a fast-paced, fast-changing environment.
- Ability to work productively in a variety of work environments including office settings, workshops, mobile trailers, and in remote outdoor field environments.
- Ability to travel for extended duration of 2 to 6 weeks, approximately two to three times each year, in remote locations.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience leading teams and managing large, complex, or high-visibility projects.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.