Refine Search Clear All
Senior Mechanical Technologist in Polymer Additive Manufacturing
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Senior Mechanical Technologist. You will provide advanced technical support to operations of new and ongoing experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Apply advanced knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including operating multi-axis positioning systems and additive manufacturing machines, and interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment for hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Operate intricate and complex design, engineering, and scientific software, hardware, and systems to produce components, assemblies, systems and supportive documentation and graphics.
- Operate experimental and diagnostic equipment and perform data collection in the execution of experiments.
- Perform equipment related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures, including practicing good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods. Provided minimal guidance.
- Mentor and train team members through onboarding or knowledge transfer of development efforts.
- Operate and work with engineers to develop custom software packages required for system execution and data analysis. Analyze data and develop strategies for component or process development efforts.
- Ensure project’s progress and divergences are communicated to the guiding team member.
- Conduct regular plan of the day meetings including safety discussions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate (AS) degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced understanding of engineering hardware design, including knowledge of drafting/design software.
- Experience with experimental and testing processes.
- Advanced knowledge of material fabrication processes and methods, including experience with computer numerical control machines and basic machine shop tools.
- Experience in mechanical measurement and mechanical assembly of components.
- Knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience leading, mentoring and training other technicians to produce quality results.
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Possess effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, including feedback and presentation skills to all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of engineering standards and policies, including design safety standards, planning and design, and experience in Solid Model design using CAD programs with the ability to perform engineering calculations, including engineering safety notes.
- Experience with sensors, data acquisition systems and with CNC equipment, including understanding and writing machine tool code.
- Experience with additive manufacturing techniques.
- Experience planning complex design, mechanical fabrication, and assembly for Additive Manufacturing methods.
- Active Q clearance desired.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now