Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical/ Senior Mechanical Technologists for Polymer Additive Manufacturing
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/24/2022
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist. You will provide technical support to operations of new and ongoing experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other offsite locations.
- Apply intermediate knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including operating multi-axis positioning systems and additive manufacturing machines, and interpreting and utilizing laboratory equipment for hardware and software troubleshooting.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Use design software to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Operate experimental and diagnostic equipment and perform data collection in the execution of experiments.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform equipment related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures, including practicing good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Operate intricate and complex design, engineering, and scientific software, hardware and systems to produce components, assemblies, systems and supportive documentation and graphics.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate (AS) degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate understanding of engineering hardware design, including knowledge of drafting/design software.
- Experience with experimental and testing processes.
- Intermediate knowledge of material fabrication processes and methods, including experience with computer numerical control machines and basic machine shop tools.
- Experience in mechanical measurement and mechanical assembly of components.
- Knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, and abilities working effectively high level technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Possess effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, including feedback and presentation skills to all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of engineering standards and policies, including design safety standards, planning and design, and experience in Solid Model design using CAD programs with the ability to perform engineering calculations, including engineering safety notes.
- Experience with sensors, data acquisition systems and with CNC equipment, including understanding and writing machine tool code.
- Experience planning complex design, mechanical fabrication and assembly for Additive Manufacturing methods.
- Active Q clearance desired.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.