Refine Search Clear All
Sr. Mechanical Technologist - Mechanics of Materials Group
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/24/2021
Job Code: 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Senior Mechanical Technologist. You will support the Mechanics of Materials (MoM) Group to provide mechanical testing support to ongoing and new programmatic activities. You will interact with scientists, engineers, technicians, and other support personnel. This Position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role you will
- Setup, perform testing and acquire temperature, displacement, load, stress and strain data for mechanical testing experiments using computer-based data acquisition systems.
- Effectively apply engineering principles to solve non-traditional mechanical testing requests.
- Use mechanical design, engineering, and scientific software on computer systems to produce documentation and graphics.
- Evaluate and characterize materials and manufacturing processes in support of mechanical testing experiments.
- Independently design moderately complex mechanical hardware and support tooling.
- Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternative approaches to mechanical testing problems using individual creativity and judgement.
- Provide in-depth analysis/evaluation in reporting results.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical, or Industrial, Engineering Technology or technology certificate with related work experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field that includes mechanical training.
- Fundamental understanding of strength of materials or engineering mechanics.
- Advanced skills in engineering hardware design.
- Experience using CAD software (Creo or SolidWorks) to design/analyze mechanical testing fixtures and assemblies.
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes and material properties.
- Ability to independently perform stress, strain, and modulus of elasticity calculations.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software (Microsoft Office Suite, Graphing/Plotting software) for documenting experimental results.
- Proficient user of MathCAD, or other programming software.
- Proficient written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently or in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- General knowledge in the operation of mechanical testing systems.
- General knowledge of electronics. (Familiar with voltage, current and resistance. measurement techniques, Ohm’s law and a general understanding of basic electrical circuits)
- General knowledge of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now