Refine Search Clear All
Global Security Safety and Operations Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 11/22/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Global Security (GS) Directorate Safety and Operations Manager. You will be an integral part of the GS operations staff, ensuring operations are conducted safely, consistently, and in a manner compliant with Laboratory Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) policies and best industry practices. You will report to the Assurance Manager.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Implement best practices, principles and concepts to highly complex issues and organizational problems in the security, quality, and ES&H arenas.
- Provide support to the Principal Associate Director’s (PAD) response to safety incidents, communicating with the Assurance Manager, Assistant Principal Associate Director for Operations, and affected Program Managers as appropriate.
- Lead or participate in investigations of reportable occurrences, injuries, and illnesses. These investigations will often include in-depth analyses of tangible and intangible contributing factors.
- Lead management self-assessments on a variety of ES&H and organizational topics. Develop and recommend corrective actions in response to identified issues based on advanced knowledge of ES&H policies and organizational best practices.
- Develop and implement creative strategies to promote safety awareness, instill prevention strategies, and help promote and sustain a strong safety culture, exercising independent judgement in selection of objectives.
- Improve or create innovative programs guided by observations and data acquired through GS ES&H self-assessment activities, ES&H walk-throughs, incident investigations, and/or Directorate-wide ESH&Q trending data.
- Develop into a Qualified Work Planner, working with Authorizing and Responsible Individuals, Principle Investigators, and Subject Matter Experts, including senior management, from across the Laboratory to develop work control products and properly steward relevant technical ES&H, Engineering, Conduct of Operations, etc. topics necessary to ensure GS organizational work planning effectiveness and efficiency.
- Represent GS management as a key contributor on internal audit and assessment activities and participate, as requested by GS management, on safety advisory (SAG) stakeholder committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the TSS.4 Level
- Participate in cross-cutting Institutional safety and/or security groups with a view to improving and strengthening LLNL policies and procedures.
- Represent the GS Directorate as a safety/security Subject Matter Expert in high-level interactions with internal and external customers including representing GS management as a host of external audit and assessment activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or scientific discipline or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of environment, safety and health procedures, requirements, and chemical, industrial, and radiological hazards management.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, influence others, and provide information and advice to management.
- Demonstrated mature judgment and decision-making. Ability to resolve difficult issues using creative problem-solving skills and, lacking authority, exerting influence to gain the cooperation of others.
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting complex technical or institutional data.
- Extensive knowledge and experience interpreting and implementing policies, procedures, and practices, especially in the areas of ES&H policies & procedures.
In Addition, at the TSS.4 Level
- Extensive experience developing and implementing improvements to ES&H policies and procedures.
- Expert knowledge of and extensive experience implementing Laboratory, corporate, Department of Energy (DOE) and/or related customer/sponsor requirements.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience in Human Performance Improvement concepts and/or related performance improvement methodologies.
- Familiarity with GS Programs, matrix structure, missions, and operations.
- Knowledge of WP&C, ITS, and the injury and illness reporting system.
- Qualified Work Planner.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now