Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Assembler and Network Installer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/22/2021
Job Code: 532.2 Sr Fab Technician-Electronics / 532.3 Fab Tech Spec-Electronics
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Senior Electronics Fabrication Technician(s)/Electronics Fabrication Technician Specialist(s). You will fabricate and install electro-mechanical components, systems and network infrastructure for new and on-going experiments in multiple facilities. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments at various LLNL locations. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general fabrication support on experimental apparatuses using standard machine tools, hand tools, soldering techniques, and test and measurement equipment.
- Utilize schematic drawings, parts list, and assembly drawings to convert moderately complex requirements into specific hardware deliverables and estimates.
- Install, evaluate, test, and debug moderately complex chassis and/or rack equipment and assemblies.
- Install and test network infrastructure and equipment.
- Install cable trays and mounting hardware as required using hand and power tools.
- Log and report activities and tasks as required using time reporting software.
- Operate a forklift, scissor-lift, and man-lift in association with work activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 532.3 level
- Propose solutions and alternate approaches to solve complex electro-mechanical fabrication and installation problems and tasks and seek engineering or supervisor support for clarification.
- Generate estimates, provide work instruction and lead teams to accomplish fabrication, modification, and installation of network and electro-mechanical systems and components based on layouts, diagrams, and verbal instruction.
- Provide advanced fabrication support on complex experimental apparatuses using standard machine tools, hand tools, soldering techniques, and to test and measurement equipment.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing Technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience installing and testing wired and wireless network infrastructure including Cat5e, Cat6, single and multi-mode fiber optics.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of the fabrication, modification, and installation of moderately complex network and electro-mechanical systems and components.
- Experience working in a customer service/field support environment.
- Ability to identify, analyze, negotiate, and solve moderately complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- General knowledge of network infrastructure industry standards.
- General knowledge of building and fire code as they apply to facility and infrastructure.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 532.3 level
- Advanced understanding of and significant experience translating complex electrical, electronic, and mechanical drawings into working estimates including both time and materials required making additional recommendations as necessary.
- Ability to lead work teams and train coworkers to complete tasks safely and efficiently while producing high quality results.
Qualifications We Desire
- Current or previous industry recognized certification in fiber optic terminations.
- Current or prior certification for operation of a forklift, manlift and/or scissor lift.
- Current or prior respirator certification.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.