Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Technologies and Design Student Intern
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/19/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student / 714.0 Intern Nonexempt
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Undergraduate level students or students with an Associate Degree to engage in practical experience to further their technology educational goals. You will support engineering projects involving research, conceptual design, innovative technologies, diagnostics, manufacturing principles, and core processes in product development. If you are energetic and enthusiastic with knowledge and interest in mechanical technologies, electronics technologies, or design & drafting, this internship could be a good match for you. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Work directly with a mentor in your field of study, perform technical assignments with a basic degree of complexity.
- Provide technical support to engineers and scientific staff in research and development projects to find solutions to real world problems.
- Under close supervision, participate in research in assigned area.
- Utilize standard software packages common in your discipline to complete common tasks.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of engineering research.
- Document and communicate results of technical data generated.
- Share technical information and promote open dialogue.
- Attend relevant seminars, facility tours, and interact with other students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Must be a continuing college student in good academic standing, enrolled at an accredited institution pursuing a bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or has complted their Associates Degree in mechanical engineering technology, electrical engineering technology, design/drafting, or other technology related field.
- Ability to work full-time for 10-12 weeks during the summer.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment utilizing excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.2 or above.
- Technical project experience.
- Familiarity with tools associated to your field of study.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.