Refine Search Clear All
Senior Performance Improvement/Project Management Consultant
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 11/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Performance Analysis and Improvement Group (PAIG) has an opportunity for a Senior Performance Improvement/Project Management Consultant. You will serve as a project lead, mentor, and coach for the execution of multi-disciplinary process improvement efforts. A high degree of emotional intelligence and ability to adapt to diverse work environments are essential for success in this role. Performance improvement effort deliverables include accurate analysis of improvement actions, detailed implementation plans, identification of relevant performance metrics, and implementation of process management systems. This position is in the Management Assurance System (MAS) Organization within the Director’s Office.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide consultation and project management skills for the assessment, planning, and execution of performance improvement projects.
- Identify and pursue performance improvement opportunities for new and/or ongoing performance improvement initiatives.
- Conduct gap analysis, utilize project charters, create detailed process maps, construct implementation plans, and incorporate metrics to verify and sustain improved performance.
- Create and present simple and relevant project status updates for persons unfamiliar with Lean and Six Sigma.
- Evaluate, assess, plan, execute, and lead multi-disciplinary project teams and lead multiple projects (3-5) of varying complexity, duration and scope.
- Mentor and support others using applicable Lean Six Sigma concepts as they increase their performance improvement and project execution skills.
- Perform assigned PAIG and Livermore Process Improvement team administrative duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.4 level
- Lead the effort to evaluate program conditions and define implementable actions for institutional related improvements.
- Provide expert performance and Organization Development consultation to senior LLNL management.
- Oversee others in implementation of process improvement within assigned organizations to facilitate the application of process improvement across the institution,
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in system engineering, industrial engineering, or equivalent level of education and related experience,
- Success establishing effective working relationships with program/sponsor organizations, operations management, professional colleagues and customers.
- Significant experience influencing decisions and actions in an environment resistant to change without positional authority.
- Engaging verbal and written communication, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Proven process improvement leadership working with teams that have competing objectives and that reside in technically diverse environments.
- Certification as a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or Green Belt, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to train and certify others in recognized improvement methods such as Lean, Six Sigma, Shingo etc.
In addition to TSS.4 level
- Significant experience effectively planning, organizing, budgeting, and leading multiple projects of significant scope on time while coordinating personnel from multiple organizations.
- Subject matter expertise in Lean and Six Sigma analytics and data analysis.
- Significant experience leading and/or performing collaborative tasks with a diverse group of professional disciplines and highly technical staff across organizational, complex wide and external boundaries including federal, state and DOE regulations and directives.
- Graduate degree in system engineering, industrial engineering, organization performance sciences.
- Knowledge of LLNL’s operational, programmatic, or science and technology efforts,
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.