Refine Search Clear All
Electric Utility Power System Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Electric Utility Power System Engineer to support the Electrical Maintenance Division of the Infrastructure & Operations Directorate. You will perform a variety of maintenance, operations, engineering, design, construction, and modification activities on the transmission, substation, and distribution facilities, (115kV, 13.8kV, 12kV, and 4kV), serving the LLNL Main Site and Site 300.
In this role you will
- Provide engineering analysis and design in support of projects being performed to improve the electric utility systems, under limited direction.
- Provide engineering support for electric utility system load-flow, short circuit, protection, arc-flash, and economic studies related to electric utility system improvement projects.
- Prepare equipment test reports, as-built switchgear drawings, system one-line diagrams, and associated system drawings.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of equipment maintenance and system operations procedures and standards.
- Contribute to the maintenance, programming, and improvement of the electric utility SCADA system including communications components.
- Develop detailed engineering designs and construction packages for electric utility system equipment upgrade and replacement projects.
- Provide engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderately complex electric utility system issues and/or problems.
- Provide recommendations to electric utility personnel on maintenance and operations issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (power systems concentration) or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, techniques, practices, and procedures for completing tasks or projects in electric utility system engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Electrical Engineer in the State of California or reciprocity from another state within 36 months.
- Knowledge of and experience using computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Matlab, AutoCAD, SKM, LabView, and any others relevant to engineering.
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to provide high level customer service. Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present, report and explain technical information
- Basic familiarity with computers, computer networks, microprocessor-based relays, control systems, SCADA systems, and Cybersecurity as it pertains to Industrial Control Systems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of National Electrical Safety Code, NFPA 70E, IEEE 1584, and/or electric utility system analysis software (SKM Power Tools preferred) to perform load-flow, fault-duty, protective device coordination, arc-flash, harmonic, transient, and motor starting studies.
- M.S. degree Electrical Engineering (power systems).
- Troubleshooting experience with computers, network, software, electrical wiring, schematics, or other.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.