Refine Search Clear All
Machine Learning Group Leader - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3 / SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for Group Leader of the Machine Learning Group (MLG) which is part of the Data Analytics and Decision Sciences Section within the Computational Engineering Division (CED). The primary focus of this group is the research and development of machine learning techniques related to deep learning, unsupervised feature learning, reinforcement learning, zero-shot learning, multimodal learning, ensemble methods, natural language processing, and probabilistic graphical models. You will provide technical, programmatic, and administrative leadership for these efforts. You will maintain a programmatic assignment and will report to the Engineering Data Analytics and Decision Sciences Section Leader.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.3 or SEL.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Supervise, provide technical and administrative direction/guidance, career counseling, mentoring, coaching, and support to 10+ group members.
- Develop and serve the group’s customer base by maintaining a close interface with programmatic and project elements.
- Formulate a long-term plan for research and development that will provide state-of-the-art capabilities to further the mission of LLNL.
- Collaborate with project leaders within Laboratory programs to anticipate and meet technical needs.
- Develop research and development initiatives for external sponsorship and for internally-supported LDRD and Tech Base projects.
- Recruit and hire new staff as needed to meet Section, Division, and programmatic staffing needs.
- Ensure quality of work and promote effective teamwork within the group.
- Attend Section and Division meetings, plan and conduct monthly Group meetings, and conduct institutional training sessions as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.4 level
- Set project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Develop new Engineering capabilities and novel technologies in machine learning.
- Provide subject matter expert capability in one or more areas of machine learning.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computational Biology, or demonstrated equivalent level of knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following: deep learning, unsupervised feature learning, reinforcement learning, zero-shot learning, multimodal learning, ensemble methods, natural language processing, and probabilistic graphical models.
- Ability to promote and lead technical projects.
- Effective communication skills necessary to give written and verbal presentations and interact with all levels of personnel.
- Experience in writing R&D proposals.
- Experience working in a team environment with multi-disciplinary personnel internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, listening, and negotiation skills.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.4 level
- Subject matter expertise in one or more relevant technical areas including: deep learning, unsupervised feature learning, reinforcement learning, zero-shot learning, multimodal learning, ensemble methods, natural language processing, and probabilistic graphical models.
- Significant experience in the leadership of technical projects, project planning, and execution.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to highly complex problems.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to lead a team, advise senior management, and to positively represent the Program and the Laboratory.
- Knowledge of Laboratory management and structure including supervision, budget, policies, and processes.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computational Biology, or demonstrated equivalent level of knowledge.
- Experience in the hiring and career development of employees.
- Experience with performance reviews, ranking, and salary management processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.