Refine Search Clear All
Gamma-Ray Spectroscopy Instrumentation Development â Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 11/12/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher for development of germanium-based, gamma-ray spectroscopy instrumentation for both space and terrestrial applications. You will work with a team of scientists and engineers on all aspects of the development including modeling, designing, fabricating, testing, and deploying these instruments. This position is within the Nuclear Security Physics group in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences division.
In this role you will
- Participate in the conceptual design of new gamma-ray instrumentation
- Participate in the mechanical design and fabrication
- Work on cryogenic and vacuum systems
- Conduct laboratory testing and data analysis
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in physics, nuclear engineering, or related field.
- Ability to perform independent research in experimental or theoretical science and to find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with germanium-based, gamma-ray spectroscopy instruments and analysis.
- Experience with Cryogenic instrumentation.
- CAD design using SolidWorks or similar, Data analysis using Python or similar, Monte Carlo modeling using MCNP or Geant.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.