Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/12/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Thermal Analyst. You will work collaboratively in a
diverse, multidisciplinary team to provide engineering support for enduring and future
defense technologies, including engineering design expertise; fabrication and
assembly, systems engineering; surveillance of aging components; engineering
analysis and computational simulation; and engineering testing. You will develop
computational models, conduct analyses, and perform research and development in
advanced simulation capabilities, using state of the art computational techniques that
leverage high performance supercomputers. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development of models of thermal systems (especially finite
element models), through geometry and mesh creation, selection or development of appropriate material models and properties, application of suitable boundary conditions, and assess tool capabilities and limitations when selecting the appropriate methodology for model development and simulation.
- Collaborate to perform thermal, thermo-mechanical, and/or multi-physics analyses; perform post-processing; and present and document results.
- Support analysis workflow and quality practices, including workflow optimization, process standardization, configuration management of analysis files and software, verification and validation (V&V) of models, and uncertainty quantification.
- Leverage thermal analysis to support or guide design, testing, modification, and optimization of components and systems.
- Work independently and collaboratively on diverse multidisciplinary teams with other analysts, code developers, engineers, and subject matter experts to solve technical problems.
- Report technical approaches and publish as appropriate, and mentor less senior staff analysts.
- Participate in formal design reviews and informal peer reviews as required.
- Support the development of new analysis capabilities, such as advanced material models, novel boundary conditions or contact definitions, methods of coupling codes, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Guide the development and completion of complex programmatic deliverables.
- Independently develop and implement new analysis capabilities and methodologies.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in mechanical, chemical, aerospace engineering or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of heat transfer in engineering materials/structures (including conduction, convection, and radiation), fluid dynamics, reacting materials, chemistry, and/or combustion.
- Comprehensive knowledge of materials properties and associated analytical models used in thermal problem solving.
- Experience with thermal analysis including conduction, convection, and radiation using thermal computer codes.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver technical presentations.
- Ability to work on several different projects concurrently.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of the development of relevant principles, theories, concepts, and techniques in the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in determining optimal techniques, methods, and evaluation criteria for answering engineering questions.
- Experience participating in formal and informal design reviews.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in mechanical, chemical, aerospace engineering, or closely related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: advanced constitutive models (for metals, composites, ceramics, foams, geological materials, or polymers); reaction kinetics and material model development; energetic materials (i.e. high explosives and propellants); magnetohydrodynamics;
transportation safety analysis (i.e. fire); uncertainty quantification; statistics;
mechanical design codes such as ProE/Creo; fluid analysis codes (i.e. FLUENT or STAR CCM); system mechanical design details and materials; and/or technical management or business development.
- Programming experience, especially in Python, Java, C, Fortran, Perl, and/or Matlab.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.