Refine Search Clear All
Business Development Executive
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 11/11/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Business Development Executive. This position represents LLNL in all aspects of intellectual property management, technology transfer, and industrial partnering via CRADAs (Cooperative Research and Development Agreements). You will work closely with other Business Development Executives , scientific and technical staff, principal investigators, program managers and IP attorneys to promote Laboratory inventions for commercial applications in diverse markets, and will generate industry leads for a number of technology portfolios. You will take the lead in the creation and maintenance of informational materials related to technology portfolios. This position is in the Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO) within the Director’s Office.
In this role you will
- Create materials that enable a clear understanding of advanced technology and systems in advanced manufacturing, materials, instruments, lasers, computing, life sciences and other scientific areas.
- Design and create both printed and electronic information for existing and new intellectual property portfolios.
- Research and identify industry partners aligned with LLNL intellectual property portfolios
- Develop and maintain business relationships with industry partners who are aligned with LLNL technology areas.
- Maintain electronic information related to intellectual property portfolios on IPO’s website and other promotional e-platforms
- Represent the Laboratory in its dealings with the commercial sector through management of intellectual property licensing and partnering inquires.
- Work with other Business Development Executives to develop portfolio, marketing, and partnering/licensing strategies for the highest priority cases.
- Promote assigned intellectual property portfolios, in cooperation with Directorate(s), Programs, and other stakeholders.
- Participate on the institutional committee charged with evaluating new inventions and software disclosures and make recommendations on the marketing/partner outreach strategy for inventions or authored works including copyrights on new software.
- Contribute to the analysis of licensees and research partners, in coordination with IPO’s Intellectual Property and Agreements Management Group.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Advanced degree in a scientific field, business or in technical/scientific communications
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas and technologies to different audiences through advanced technical/science writing skills
- Experience developing and managing relationships with the business community as part of a university, national laboratory, or other research entities technology transfer office.
- Significant experience in the promotion, marketing and lead generation for early stage technologies using e-platforms
- Significant experience in developing, managing and maintaining customer and stakeholder information.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current technology trends and business practices.
- Broad understanding of current and evolving technology trends across several industry sectors
- General knowledge of and understanding patenting and copyright rules and processes.
- Experience in effectively handling multiple priorities and complex problems simultaneously, determining priorities and resolving problems independently with short deadlines.
- Demonstrated advanced verbal and written communication skills to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Significant experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work in a project or team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline, business or in technical/scientific communication.
- Commercial business development experience in a high tech industry.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.