Refine Search Clear All
Windows & RHEL Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 11/10/2021
Job Code: 320.1 Computer Associate / 320.2 Senior Computer Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for experienced Windows & RHEL Administrators whose focus will be aligned with application and systems administration rather than typical IT support. You will work independently to install, configure, and maintain a suite of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) and custom in-house developed applications and their servers in support of programs within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate. As a member of the WCI Applications Technical Operations (TechOps) team, you will collaborate with application owners, varying levels of management, and other TechOps team members to plan and implement application installations, upgrades, and required patching. You will also serve as a liaison to software vendors and various LLNL IT staff for multiple applications and their infrastructure. It will be your primary responsibility to help maintain the WCI Applications server environment, working to identify and troubleshoot issues via root cause analysis and provide thorough technical documentation for required corrective action resolutions. This position is in the Application, Simulations and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate reporting to the WCI Applications Management
This position will be filled at either the 320.1 or 320.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Install, configure, troubleshoot, and modify applications, operating systems, and any required third-party products as necessary to ensure interoperability, including Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) software and software under development by in-house development teams, to meet the needs of application owners.
- Perform root cause investigation and issue resolution, providing in-depth analysis and developing innovative methods regarding problem diagnosis and resolution.
- Collaborate with various WCI Applications, WCI IT/Cyber, Database Management Team Services (DMTS), and LivIT technical teams to ensure proper integration of applications into the environment.
- Proactively monitor and remediate application server infrastructure issues.
- Create, review, and maintain advanced technical support documentation for supported software applications and their environments.
- Provide input and status updates for project tracking activities.
- Serve as the technical point of contact for vendor support on all application-related issues and evaluate vendor products as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 320.2 Level
- Lead system and process analysis efforts to provide innovative solutions for highly complex customer problems.
- Design and develop advanced technical solutions, working directly with the WCI Applications teams to recommend solutions and strategies for configuration, testing, and integration of new technologies in effort to increase efficiency and effectiveness of applications and/or server management.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of technical training and extensive experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience managing applications environments or application interfaces.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following: failover, high availability, disaster recovery, business continuance, process automation, best practices, or technology efficiency and effectiveness.
- Experience managing Windows and/or RedHat Enterprise Linux server Operating Systems.
- Advanced teamwork skills with the ability to work independently within a technical team environment effectively.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively and present and explain technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the 320.2 Level
- Significant experience working independently to plan and schedule workload, establish priorities, and collaborate with high-level technical personnel.
- Significant and highly advanced experience with software and/or systems configuration management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience using ServiceNow, Microsoft Teams, Confluence, and/or JIRA for project collaboration and request/issue tracking.
- Experience or interest in learning scripting to automate routine administrative tasks.
- Experience managing Web services such as Apache HTTPD/Tomcat, Microsoft IIS.
- Experience troubleshooting connectivity issues due to firewall, load balancer, proxy, etc.
- Working understanding of Active Directory and its utilization for ACLs.
- Utilizing Tenable for host scanning and YUM/LANDesk for patch remediation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now