Refine Search Clear All
Alternate Waste Certification Official
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 11/10/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Alternate Waste Certification Official (AWCO) to ensure LLNL regulated wastes are certified to meet the requirements of the Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facilities (TSDFs) where waste is disposed of. You will be a member of the Waste Certification Program (WCP) which develops the processes, documentation and work practices which ensure requirements related to the generation, packaging, transportation, and disposal of regulated waste are met. You will interface with disposal sites and other DOE sites, develop waste profiles, review and approve waste characterization documents, certify waste shipment, and participate in the WCP quality assurance program which includes audits, assessments, non-conformances and associated corrective actions. The AWCO reports to the Waste Certification Official (WCO) and is within the Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management (RHWM) Program.
In this role you will
- Maintain an expert-level understanding of the generation, packaging, storage, verification, and shipping of radioactive, mixed, and classified waste at LLNL.
- Interface with a variety of personnel internal and external to LLNL, including field personnel, technical staff, senior management, DOE Livermore Field Office, DOE Nevada Field Office, DOE Headquarters, and regulatory agencies to develop solutions for complex waste management issues.
- Certify radioactive, mixed, and classified wastes for disposal at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) and commercial facilities.
- Develop, review, and approve waste profiles for DOE and commercial treatment and disposal facilities.
- Review, analyze, and approve waste characterization plans for radioactive, mixed, and classified waste streams.
- Coordinate and conduct audits and assessments of waste generators and critical WCP elements.
- Develop, review, and approve a quality assurance and certification plan along with implementation procedures to ensure compliance with treatment and disposal facility waste acceptance criteria, DOE orders, and state and federal regulations.
- Certify radioactive, mixed, and classified wastes for disposal at the NNSS and commercial facilities.
- Review and approve radioactive waste packages for acceptance into RHWM’s TSDF.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science, or an equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience interpreting state and federal regulations to ensure compliance with TSDF requirements, specifically those relating to hazardous and radioactive waste management and transportation.
- Advanced understanding of DOE Orders 414.1D and 435.1.
- Significant experience evaluating chemical and radioanalytical data to make decisions on waste certification.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Significant experience working in an environment with multiple competing priorities, short deadlines, a high consequence of error, all while maintaining focus.
- Highly advanced program management and organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through.
- Occasional travel to perform certification activities in off-site domestic and foreign locations.
- Familiarity with waste management processes at LLNL.
- Extensive knowledge of radiological and chemical characterization of waste.
- Experience developing waste profiles for a TSDF.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now