Refine Search Clear All
Senior Mechanical Engineering Analyst for Nuclear Weapons
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/10/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Senior Mechanical Engineering Analysts. You will provide engineering support for the enduring and future nuclear weapons stockpile, including engineering design expertise; fabrication and assembly, systems engineering; surveillance of aging components; engineering analysis and computational simulation; and engineering testing. You will develop computational models, conduct analyses, and perform research and development in advanced simulation capabilities, using state of the art computational techniques that leverage high performance supercomputers. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to and/or lead the development of models of mechanical systems (especially finite element models), through geometry and mesh creation, selection or development of appropriate material models and properties, and application of suitable boundary conditions.
- Perform structural, thermal or thermo-mechanical, modal, dynamic, hydrodynamic, and/or multi-physics analyses; perform post-processing; and present and document results.
- Independently develop and implement analysis workflow and quality practices, including workflow optimization, process standardization, configuration management of analysis files and software, and verification and validation (V&V) of models.
- Leverage analysis to support or guide design, testing, modification, and optimization of mechanical components and systems.
- Work independently, in consultation, and in teams with other analysts, code developers, engineers, and subject matter experts to solve technical problems.
- Report technical approaches and publish as appropriate, and mentor less senior staff analysts.
- Participate in formal design reviews and informal peer reviews as required.
- Support programmatic deliverables with occasional travel, as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Serve as a subject matter expert by providing strategic technical advice to internal management and/or external sponsors, and representing the Laboratory on external scientific or technical committees.
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction and decisions made by self, team, management and/or external customers.
- Direct technical tasks and teams and mentor staff within the analysis groups or project teams.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of elasticity, plasticity, failure, and heat transfer in engineering materials/structures.
- Advanced knowledge of materials properties and associated analytical models used in mechanical engineering problem solving.
- Significant experience with finite element analysis (FEA) and finite element method (FEM) using structural, dynamic, hydrodynamic, thermal and/or fluid computer codes such as ABAQUS, ANSYS, LSDYNA, NASTRAN, CTH, ALE3D, PATRAN, FEMAP, ParaDyn, NIKE3D, DYNA3D, Diablo, Cubit, and HyperMesh.
- Advanced knowledge in the development of relevant principles, theories, concepts, and techniques in the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in determining optimal techniques, methods, and evaluation criteria for answering engineering questions.
- Experience participating in formal and informal design reviews.
- Advanced organizational, verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver technical presentations.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Significant experience developing solutions and innovative methods that require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and intangible factors.
- Ability to lead teams and direct technical projects.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and significant experience in interacting with both internal and external stakeholders and decision makers.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: advanced constitutive models (for metals, composites, ceramics, foams, geological materials, or polymers); continuum mechanics and material model development; energetic materials (i.e. high explosives and propellants); magneto-hydrodynamics; transportation safety analysis (i.e. impact or fire); uncertainty quantification; statistics; mechanical design codes such as ProE/Creo; fluid analysis codes (i.e. FLUENT or STAR CCM); nuclear weapon system mechanical design details and materials; and/or technical management or business development.
- Strong programming experience, especially in Python, Java, C, Fortran, Perl, and/or Matlab.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.