Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Enterprise Analysis - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
Engineering | livermore, CA | 11/09/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a highly qualified and motivated engineer to join our team to solve critical infrastructure capacity and process challenges as a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member in Nuclear Enterprise Analysis. In this role, you will perform original research and participate in multidisciplinary projects that leverage emerging technologies and cutting-edge tools from across the Laboratory to strengthen our nuclear security enterprise and infrastructure systems against various threats and operational pressures. This position will be located in the Systems & Policy Analysis Group, Computational Engineering Division (CED), in LLNL's Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work closely with teams of systems analysts, experimental scientists, engineers, computer scientists, operations specialists, and program managers to design and productionize nuclear enterprise operations and R&D analytics tools.
- Assist in development of mathematical optimization and simulation tools for applications in nuclear enterprise which may include, high explosives material research and development, the nuclear stockpile, and related infrastructure and workforce demands.
- Support efforts to collect, catalog, and interpret nuclear enterprise and supporting R&D process data for use in mathematical models, including population of databases and use of visualization tools.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives by functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Travel as required to coordinate research with collaborators and visit field sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in an applied quantitative analysis field such as operations research, applied mathematics, chemical, industrial, electrical, or mechanical engineering, or similar field.
- Research experience in one or more key areas: infrastructure system or process modeling and/or optimization, infrastructure system resilience quantification and analysis, or optimization under uncertainty.
- Experience leveraging one or more quantitative analysis software tools in an original research setting. Examples include mixed-integer programming solvers (e.g., Gurobi, CPLEX, and SCIP) and algebraic modeling using languages (e.g., AMPL, Pyomo, and JuMP).
- Experience programming in Python, including libraries such as pandas, pytorch, and related data science libraries.
- Experience in developing models that address the optimization of processing conditions and work-flow for engineered materials.
- Experience undertaking original research, documenting research processes, and communicating findings in peer-reviewed journals and other professional settings such as at professional conferences, among peer and working group communities and to research sponsors.
- Ability to collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals and pursue independent but complementary research interests.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in professional industrial process operations or optimization via internships, professional employment or volunteering.
- Experience working with relational database languages such as SQL and visualization applications such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- Experience with big data analytics and/or working in a High-Performance Computing environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.