Refine Search Clear All
Personnel Security Group Leader
Security | livermore, CA | 11/08/2021
Job Code: J01.4 Business Unit Security Spec 4
Organization: Security Organization
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Personnel Security Group Leader in the Security Organization You will provide leadership, direction and oversight to an overall staff of 24 full-time, and over 50 part-time personnel, and ensure optimal performance of various functions to include the Badge Office; Preliminary Background Investigations; Clearance Processing; Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence; Control of Classified Visits; Unclassified Foreign National Access Control; and the Security Escort Program. This position manages multiple, high-priority assignments and constantly changing deadlines. This position reports to the Information and Personnel Security Division Leader.
In this role you will
- Manage staffing and service levels; recommend changes for continuous improvements to achieve objectives; and formulate, plan, document, and oversee the development and implementation of new processes and procedures in compliance with costing principles, DOE Orders, Federal mandates, state, and local laws.
- Supervise, lead and mentor personnel. Provide technical direction, performance management, operational guidance, ensure staff have proper training, understanding of policy, procedures, and equipment to perform duties and complete tasks in compliance with DOE/LLNL security directives in accordance with the directive or SO policies and procedures.
- Establish schedules and performance standards for group deliverables, develop performance metrics, and create comprehensive statistical models to track goals and metrics.
- Interface with the IT team on operation of Personnel Security system applications, help set priorities for upgrades and revisions, help test and train users on new software, and approve roles and access.
- Serve as a key member of the division to interface and foster partnerships with programmatic contacts, Livermore Field Office, and serve on committees with NNSA/DOE counterparts that align strategic goals, facilitate an understanding of applicable security requirements and support innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Oversee, participate, and coordinate activities for internal self-assessments and in response to internal and external audits and inspections from LLNL Audits and Ethics and external inspectors from NNSA, DOE, OIG, or government agencies.
- Interpret and apply concepts and techniques; analyze data and prepare final recommendations for organizational senior management. Serve as a subject matter expert for access, security clearance, and facility clearance information. Review and comment on new requirements, and develop Impact Analyses and Implementation Plans.
- Develop and track budgets, predict future expenses, prepare Mission Gap Analyses, and provide input to the Annual Operation Plan narratives and statistics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in security, management, administration, information technology, or related field, or equivalent combination of experience, education, training and related experience.
- Significant experience interpreting and applying in-depth knowledge of federal regulations and laws and developing and implementing security policies, procedures, implementation plans and databases. Demonstrated expertise in a variety of Badge Office, Preliminary Background Investigations, Clearance Processing, Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence, Control of Classified Visits, Unclassified Foreign National Access Control, and/or a Security Escort functions.
- Extensive experience in determining requirements of a large, diverse customer base and establishing and managing operational components.
- Experience managing a diverse group of exempt and non-exempt staff. Strong supervisory and leadership experience including team building, assessing performance, developing performance reviews, supporting professional development, or providing coaching and/or mentoring to less experienced staff.
- Extensive experience participating in and leading projects including establishing and managing operational components and demonstrated ability to manage budgets, develop and meet strategic department goals.
- Advanced organizational, problem solving, decision-making, analytical and leadership skills necessary to independently advise, recommend and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate and communicate with a diverse group of personalities at all levels. Extensive customer service experience and ability to demonstrate responsiveness to customer needs and requests.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated knowledge of NNSA/DOE Orders, and LLNL Policies and applicable state/federal laws.
- Experience in Laboratory operations and technical and scientific programs.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.