Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 11/05/2021
Job Code: 824.1 Electrician I
Organization: Security Organization
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrician I, supporting intrusion detection, access control and video systems. You will perform a variety of specialized journey level electrical functions including electronics work on microprocessors, peripherals, and data communication systems associated with the Laboratory's security systems. This position is in the Alarm and Access Control Group (AACG) within the Physical and Technical Security Division (PTSD) in the Security Organization Directorate.
In this role you will
- Perform journey-level electrical work including layout, fabrication, modify, maintain, and repair of industrial electronics controls, security systems, access control equipment, programmable logic controllers and specialized detection systems.
- Install electrical wire-way systems and branch circuits. Troubleshoot and debug complex electronic, communication and system problems. Maintain access portals, x-ray machines, metal detectors, explosive trace detectors and similar equipment.
- Conduct operational and acceptance checks to ensure system functionality. Provide written and verbal reports, complete preventive maintenance requests, and work orders using established procedures.
- Troubleshoot and repair circuit assemblies to component level using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, data acquisition recorders and similar test equipment. Install and Maintain Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) system, Fiber and Untwisted Pair (UTP) circuits for Ethernet communications.
- Analyze system performance and make recommendations for continued operation, work independently with system engineers and designers as a member of a team.
- Analyze work request for conformity with NFPA requirements and other Laboratory and PTSD Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- High school diploma, or equivalent. Completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrical trade and/or California State certified general electrician.
- Valid California Class C Driver’s License.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge, abilities, and experience in the electrician trade including electrical codes and regulations. Experience with and knowledge of National Electronic Code (NEC) and OSHA Safety regulations used to perform tasks in compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) regulations.
- Completion of apprenticeship program in the electrician trade or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of electronics and electrical power, security, complex distributed control systems and communications methods.
- Experience in the troubleshooting, installation, use and maintenance of security systems and associated components. Experience in analog and digital troubleshooting and using logical reasoning to perform repairs and operational checks of systems.
- Knowledge and experience with network installation and test equipment (e.g., network auto-tester for UTP and fiber circuits, light-meter, and fiber optic fusion splicer) and installation and maintenance of CCTV systems. Ability to work with all the tools of the trade such as test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-test meters, logic analyzers, and communications analyzers, as well as hand tools such as hammers, punches, drills, band saws, reciprocating saw, conduit benders (up to 2") and electrical construction tools.
- Ability to interpret verbal and written instructions, sketches, prints and schematics and experience working with personal computers and software.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to use tact, diplomacy, and discretion, as well as the ability to work effectively independently or as a team member.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, occasionally lift 50-85 pounds, in a safe and controlled manner and work in confined spaces and heights. Ability to be medically qualified to wear personal protective equipment (PPE), work at Site 200 or Site 300, and ability to work scheduled, on-call and emergency overtime.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with NFPA codes and standards, in particular NFPA 72.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical SCADA systems.
- Ability to write reports and complete forms that are clear, concise and readable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems
- Experience with IPV4 addressing and subnetting.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.