Refine Search Clear All
Scientific Researcher - X-Ray Sciences
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/01/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Staff Researcher to lead new efforts to develop x-ray diagnostics, as well as to analyze data from past and future experiments. The project team is actively executing experiments at pulsed power facilities within the NNSA complex and is driving new requirements for these and future facilities. Current diagnostic developments include streaked x-ray imaging and spectroscopy, as well as time-resolved measurements of electron temperature. The project is in an exciting growth phase, with many opportunities for career development in the national security domain. You will have the opportunity to work on the development efforts above, or on analysis of experimental data based on expertise and interest. This position is in the X-ray Sciences Group in the Applied Physics Section of the Physics Division
In this role you will
- Design, develop, test and implement improvements for existing and planned x-ray diagnostics and implement techniques and sources for calibration measurements.
- Research, design, and execute x-ray-based experiments at the Z-machine.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of x-ray diagnostics.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Coordinate with engineers, technicians, and people from different groups to plan and execute experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Plasma Physics, Hydrodynamics, Shock Physics, Spectroscopy, Condensed Matter, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced experience in experimental physics in laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, high energy density physics, x-ray instrumentation, applied physics, plasma diagnostics, x-ray spectroscopy or similar area.
- Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Spatially and temporally resolved x-ray imaging, fast x-ray timing, electron temperature diagnostic techniques, both time-integrated and time-resolved, and x-ray spectroscopy.
- Significant analytical and experimental skills.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Advanced initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing, calibrating, and fielding x-ray diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Experience with electron optics and/or pulsed electronics
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation techniques.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.