Refine Search Clear All
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/01/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Computational Physicist/Engineer to work on next-generation fissile materials production modeling and simulation using state-of-the-art adaptive computing technologies to integrate models with advanced data analytics and machine learning. You will develop models to enable simulation of proliferation processes, detection of early signatures, and accurate assessment of possible proliferation activities. This position is in the Applied Physics Section in the Physics Division.
In this role you will
Learn underlying physics and operational procedure of existing suite of computational models for fissile-materials production.
Enhance existing and develop new computational models for processes and components associated with fissile materials production using a new adaptive computing environment, coupled to high-performance computing capabilities, as needed.
Use hierarchy of complex computational models to provide expert input and technical advice to national security nuclear analysts.
Apply machine learning and statistical analysis to computer simulation outputs to couple simulation codes, to perform and analyze large-scale statistical studies, and to generate synthetic for machine-learning models.
Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
Periodically, prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
Publish research results in technical and/or peer-reviewed scientific journals, and present results at technical meetings and/or external conferences.
Occasional travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and collaborators.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q/SCI-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in nuclear engineering, physics, chemical engineering, computational sciences, related field or the equivalent combination of education and significant professional experience.
- Ability to develop complex computer codes.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in developing computational models and simulations.
- Experience with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and/or data analytics.
- Significant experience authoring technical and scientific reports, publications and delivering scientific presentations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management and external sponsors.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and collaborator interaction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with adaptive computation environments and/or high-performance computing.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with the scientific and technological issues associated with national security in one or more of the following areas: nuclear fuel cycle, advanced technology/process model development, isotope production, data analytics, fluid flow, industrial chemical facilities, foreign weapon programs, or related emerging technologies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.