Refine Search Clear All
High-Resolution Atmosphere Modeling for Climate Resilience of California Infrastructure - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/28/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on atmospheric modeling for climate resilience of California Infrastructure. You will be part of a team developing a global multi-scale model (1 – 100 km horizontal resolution) based on the Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM) regionally refined model (RRM). You will be using some of the largest super-computers in the world and work closely with experts in machine learning, climate modeling, and energy infrastructure. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth & Energy Division.
In this role you will:
- Develop a multi-scale (1-100 km) global simulation framework for modeling, focusing on California’s climate.
- Modify the E3SM model as required, including modifications to model physics parameterizations and inputs.
- Conduct original research on climate change that will affect California’s infrastructure.
- Run simulations in a high-performance computing environment.
- Analyze model output, including comparisons to observations.
- Publish research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals and present technical results at scientific conferences.
- Collaborate with others in a diverse, multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Travel as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in atmospheric science or closely related fields.
- Knowledge of global climate models, atmospheric physics.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: climate model development, multi-scale atmospheric modeling, atmospheric physics parameterizations.
- Proficient in at least one scientific programming language for modeling and model output data analysis (e.g., Fortran, C++, Python, NCL).
- Ability to perform independent research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills, as evidenced by published results and presentations.
- Ability to travel as required
Qualifications we desire
- Knowledge of atmospheric model and/or parameterization development, testing and evaluation.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a team of scientists of diverse backgrounds.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.