Refine Search Clear All
Work Planning Engineer
Environmental, Safety & Health | lasvegas, NV | 10/26/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking a Work Planning Engineer to fill a vacancy at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS). You will work with supervisors and managers from across the Laboratory to provide advanced planning of LLNL work activities at NNSS. You will develop detailed, technical work documents and Job Hazards Analyses in support of complex programmatic science, R&D, nuclear, explosives, maintenance, and/or subcontractor work. This position will be located in Las Vegas, Nevada in the Joint Laboratory Office of Nevada (JLON) with a reporting location at the NNSS.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead work planning efforts for LLNL work activities at NNSS utilizing the WP&C processes and ensuring that NNSS-specific requirements are correctly flowed into LLNL work control documents.
- Triage work requests to determine the level of work planning required.
- Translate work requests into clearly bounded work scopes and task breakdowns using field walkdowns, analysis of complex systems and components, and comprehensive knowledge of facility engineering principles.
- Author concise work packages, define acceptance and work closeout criterion, identify tools, material, and equipment needed to complete the job, identify facility and utility outages required to perform the job, and write work instructions and hazard-based permits as required to ensure correct sequencing and safe execution of work.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of technical experts and workers through the work planning process to develop work control documents. Includes developing Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs) using knowledge of ES&H requirements and safe work practices; leading field walkdowns to clarify scope, tasks, and hazards; conducting hazard evaluations (e.g. What-If); leading roundtable reviews of work packages to de-conflict controls, verify the accuracy of the work package, and obtain concurrence; and facilitating the final review and approval by the Authorizing Individual.
- Participate in pre-start reviews and pre-and-post job briefings. Utilize engineering background and experience to provide feedback and improvement recommendations as well as lessons learned.
- Facilitate changes to work packages, ensuring involvement of the Work Planning Team, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Author concise work packages for higher-hazard, higher-complexity work, including writing technical work procedures for those activities, and integrating facility safety requirements (e.g. Documented Safety Analysis, Technical Surveillance Requirements, Explosives Safety Basis and Siting Plan requirements).
- Author and finalize hazard evaluations (e.g. What-If, Haz Op) and lead the work planning team through a rigorous hazard evaluation process, incorporating new controls in the JHA to minimize consequences of off-normal events.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- BS Degree in an engineering, science, ES&H or other related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and related technical experience.
- Experience working as a field engineer, work planning engineer, and/or project engineer, project manager, scientist, and/or ES&H engineer performing or providing technical and/or planning support for moderate to complex work activities, using scientific or engineering knowledge of the various types of materials, equipment, and methods used in the technical work.
- Experience applying comprehensive knowledge of engineering and ES&H principles, compliance requirements, and/or safety basis requirements. Strong knowledge of chemical, industrial, explosives, and/or radiological hazards.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities, and to apply project management principles to organize, coordinate, and accomplish work.
- Strong technical writing skills with experience developing technical documents such as work procedures, work instructions, specifications, Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) procedures, and hazard permits. Experience drafting work packages, including Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs).
- Excellent facilitation and leadership skills necessary to lead and facilitate multi-disciplinary teams of technical experts through technical discussions, including conflict resolution skills necessary to resolve differing professional opinions.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to work planning team members, supervisors, and management.
- Ability to obtain and maintain qualifications required for a LLNL Work Planner within a reasonable time period, including applicable endorsements.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced experience working as a field engineer, work planning engineer, and/or project engineer, project manager, scientist, and/or ES&H engineer performing or providing technical and/or planning support for moderate to complex work project engineer, project manager, scientist, and/or ES&H engineer performing or providing technical and/or planning support for moderate to complex work activities, using scientific or engineering knowledge of the various types of materials, equipment, and methods used in the technical work.
- Advanced skills in interpersonal, verbal, and written communication, and technical writing.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience applying various Human Performance Improvement tools for both individuals and work teams (e.g. procedure use and adherence, place-keeping, pre-job briefings, etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of technical work with extensive nuclear and/or explosive safety/safety basis requirements.
- Ability of candidate to enroll and maintain certification in the Human Reliability Program (HRP).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.