Refine Search Clear All
Computational Engineering Division Graduate Student Intern - Summer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/21/2021
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Computational Engineering Division (CED) has multiple openings for Graduate Student Interns. Our openings are for graduate level students and students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree who will be given the opportunity to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. Opportunities include technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of Computational Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or other related fields.
In this role you will
- Working with engineers, scientists and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational engineering, or other related fields.
- Gathering and analyzing data or information in support of scientific research.
- Under limited direction and supervision, will conduct research in assigned area.
- Performing technical assignments of basic degree of complexity and providing technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Presenting work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Engineering Computer Science or a related field.
- Ability to apply computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following technical computing packages common in your discipline area: Matlab, TensorFlow, R, Python, OpenCV, or finite element simulation tools.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.