Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Operations Manager
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 10/21/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering Operations Manager within the Engineering Directorate. In this role you will partner with a significant number of on-site organizations to successfully execute a range of safety, security, and emergency preparedness initiatives involving Engineering facilities, capabilities, and workforce. This position is in the Engineering Associate Director’s Office (ADO).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct tactical implementation of infrastructure projects ensuring smooth execution, including risk identification and issue resolution of complex problems.
- Serve as a facility tenant advocate and liaison, and provide continuity for infrastructure project phases that require in-dept analysis and creativity.
- Lead as the primary ADO Operations team interface with the Service Operations Specialist team, ensuring safe, compliant infrastructure support.
- Represent the organization as a principal customer contact for strategic infrastructure planning to include proposal, milestone, and overall completion metrics.
- Guide the successful completion of emergency preparedness plans including tabletop exercises and in-person drills, while ensure Engineering emergency response capabilities are in a state of readiness in alignment with the Laboratory emergency management regulatory objectives.
- Interact with colleagues to develop an understanding of hazards in Engineering managed facilities, and author corresponding documentation to aid in responding to emergency situations to respond to emergency situations.
- Represent Engineering with a range of on-site organizations including Office of Laboratory Infrastructure (OLI), Weapons Infrastructure (WI), Engineering ADO Operations, Area Facilities Operations Manager (AFOM) and Facilities team, Service Operations Specialist team, Division Offices, ES&H, Emergency Management (EMD) and Security organizations, senior management on internal technical/advisory committees and may serve on external committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Exercise a high degree of independence in meeting predetermined long-range targets.
- Apply highly complex work planning and controls processes that may include radiological, manufacturing, lasers, vacuum, and micro-nano technology planning.
- Exercise independent judgement with considerable latitude in accomplishing highly technical tasks, while briefing senior management on the overall impact and approach.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a mechanical, structural, electrical or systems engineering discipline or a related technical field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of infrastructure life-cycle projects (conceptual design through demolition) with a comprehensive view of mission need, scope, budget, schedule, and constraints.
- Advanced knowledge of facility operations in a research environment.
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary teams, foster collaborations and summarize outcomes in a fast-paced work environment with competing assignments, priorities, and schedules.
- Advanced skills in the Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and SharePoint to author documents and collaborate with team-members and stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of DOE, NNSA, and national laboratory safety and security policies and procedures with working knowledge of emergency preparedness/management processes, roles, and responsibilities.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Subject Matter Expert knowledge in emergency preparedness, facility management, safety officer duties or a field related to operations management.
- Independent expert level application and development of technical projects that require advanced project management techniques and innovation.
- Proven experience in managing a wide range or employee classifications that include electrical, mechanical, and related disciplines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced knowledge of Project Management practices, including the use of project tools such as Microsoft Project, Primavera, etc.
- Knowledge of current Engineering Directorate facilities and operations and future Engineering Directorate and Program needs.
- Current or ability to obtain CERT training.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.