Refine Search Clear All
Engineer - System Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/21/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for System Analysts with backgrounds in Civil, Aero/Astro, Environmental, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or Operations Research to join an interdisciplinary team conducting analysis in the following areas: Cyber Security, Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems and Climate Resilience and their implications for the national security, economic and environmental interests of the United States. You will apply a combination of technical expertise, critical thinking, and in-depth analysis of information from a variety of sources to provide assessments in support of national objectives. Note: candidates chosen for interviews will be asked to submit a writing sample. The position will work programmatically within Global Security (GS) Principal Directorate’s E Program and will administratively report to the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct systems analysis on one of the following areas: Cyber Security, Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems and Climate Resilience
- Contribute to a focused national research program in assigned areas that address key science and technology and policy questions, assist in identifying priorities, defining problems, and proposing analytic methodologies.
- Propose analysis methodologies, collect and organize data, and write assessments in support of sponsor and other stakeholder objectives that adhere to system analytic standards.
- Present and explain analytic findings as verbal briefings to sponsors and other stakeholders; may include some domestic and international travel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Represent the organization as a team member on engineering related tasks and large projects, working effectively with conflicting priorities.
- Contribute to the development of new program opportunities, including the definition and development of research proposals and interaction with potential sponsors and customers.
- Work with industry, business, and non-governmental organizations as part of formal or informal teams.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master's degree in engineering (aero/astro, chemical, mechanical, electrical, systems, civil, operations research or environmental), relevant scientific discipline (chemistry, physics, material science), or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience
- Knowledge of analytical techniques applied to system-level analysis; one or more of the following system analysis disciplines: risk analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, technoeconomic analysis, decision analysis or system engineering.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following programming tools: Python, MATLAB, Java or C++.
- Experience in analysis of carbon management system, cyber systems, energy systems, energy utility systems or experience in chemical industrial systems.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment, author technical analyses, and present technical information to sponsors and customers.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive experience working with multidisciplinary teams to identify priorities, define problems, develop and carry out analytical approaches to gather and assess industrial data.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in analytical techniques applied to system-level analysis; one or more of the following system analysis disciplines: risk analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, technoeconomic analysis, decision analysis or system engineering.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph D. in engineering (aero/astro, chemical, mechanical, electrical, systems, civil, operations research or environmental) or relevant scientific discipline (chemistry, physics, material science).
- Experience in industry, in one or more of the following areas: energy, infrastructure planning, equipment or plant design, process development, safety or security analysis, electrical system design and/or operation or related technologies.
- Experience with risk analyses or systems engineering in the environmental, energy utility or chemical processing domain.
- Peer reviewed publications or lead authorship of papers in an area relevant to cyber systems, energy systems, energy utility systems or experience in chemical industrial systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.