Refine Search Clear All
Climate and Agricultural Systems - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/20/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Climate and Agricultural Systems Postdoctoral Researcher to develop and pursue research addressing the large-scale climate mitigation potential of agricultural management practices in the United States, focusing primarily on soil carbon. The position will contribute to the drafting of a DOE-funded scientific advising document that outlines the potential for soil carbon accrual and pathways to carbon neutrality at the scale of the US economy. Activities will include development of techno-economic models, synthesis of publicly available data, and statistical analysis of existing soil carbon and biogeochemical data. This position is in Environmental Isotopic Signatures group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Develop and pursue a techno-economic framework to evaluate the costs of agricultural management strategies and their climate benefits.
- Quantitatively evaluate effects of both avoided emissions and net carbon removal and storage in soil at the USA county level.
- Develop innovative approaches for forecasting the permanence of soil carbon and reversal risk associated with climate mitigation benefits from improved agricultural management.
- Integrate and analyze publicly available data, including agricultural statistics, land use classification data, databases of agricultural field trial results, and biogeochemical model outputs.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present results at international conferences, present seminars and/or presentations at technical meetings.
- Integrate results in a national-scale technical report, collaborate with multi-disciplinary team to identify cross-cutting topics.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Earth Sciences, Soil and Crop Sciences, Environmental Economics, or related field.
- Experience working with data in R, Python, or a comparable computing language.
- Experience with techno-economic analysis and interdisciplinary problem solving.
- Experience and understanding of soil biogeochemistry in agro-ecosystems.
- Familiarity with agricultural management and soil biogeochemical concepts measurements relevant to climate mitigation.
- Excellent written communication skills to author technical documents and scientific publications.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Verbal communication and interpersonal skills to present and explain technical information to non-experts.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with soil carbon accounting and life-cycle analysis.
- Experience implementing biogeochemical process models.
- Experience with statistical modelling and uncertainty propagation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.