Refine Search Clear All
Materials Engineering Division Undergraduate Student Intern - Summer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/19/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for undergraduate level students to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, material science, bioengineering, data science, bio-engineering or other related fields. These positions are within the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Working with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, material science, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gathering and analyzing data or information in support of scientific research.
- Presenting and communicating results to the research group.
- Attending relevant seminars.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in engineering, physics, material science or a related field.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.