Refine Search Clear All
Ab Initio Nuclear Structure and Reaction Theory - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member to conduct research in ab initio nuclear structure and reaction theory. You will actively participate in innovative research utilizing state of the art many-body approaches, high-performance computing, and modern statistical analysis to accurately describe the structural and reaction properties of light nuclei. This position is in the Nuclear Data and Theory group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct innovative research in ab initio theory of light-nuclei structural and reaction properties.
- Combine ab initio approaches, high-performance computing capabilities and modern statistical analysis to deliver accurate predictions with quantified uncertainties.
- Design and carry out numerical simulations on LLNL supercomputers.
- Engage in collaborations between the Nuclear Data and Theory group, internal (LLNL), and external collaborators.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Present research results at scientific conferences and meetings and in peer reviewed publications.
- Contribute to proposal submissions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in theoretical physics or related field.
- Experience in microscopic methods applied to nuclear structure and/or nuclear reactions.
- Experience developing computer software for physics problems.
- Familiarity with C++, C, Fortran, or equivalent computer programming languages and with MPI and OpenMP programming.
- Ability to perform independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and publications and to deliver scientific presentations.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis applied to uncertainty quantification.
- Interest in developing solutions for next-generation hybrid CPU/GPU architectures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.