Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: 827.1 High Voltage Electrician
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for High-Voltage Electricians. You will perform a variety of specialized journey level electrical functions including maintenance, operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning activities on medium-voltage and high-voltage electric utility systems and equipment. This position is in the Electric Utility Systems Division of the Infrastructure Maintenance & Utilities Department. This position may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
In this role you will
- Perform journey level electrical work.
- Perform maintenance, switching operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning on transformers, switches, power circuit breakers, metal-clad switchgear line-ups, manholes, cables, protective relays, metering circuits, control circuits, and other electrical equipment used in the distribution of electric power at the 5kV, 15kV, and 115kV voltage levels.
- Work with other craft personnel and provide technical guidance.
- Provide effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Prepare and deliver reports; fill out preventative maintenance requests, deficiency reports, and work orders using a personal computer.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of apprenticeship program in the electrician trade or equivalent experience.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities in the electrician trade including proficiency in the use of all tools of the trade.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain, operate, install, repair, replace, test, troubleshoot, and/or commission transformers, switches, power circuit breakers, metal-clad switchgear line-ups, manholes, cables, protective relays, metering circuits, control circuits, and/or other electrical equipment used in the distribution of electric power at the 5kV, 15kV, and 115kV voltage levels.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills necessary to interact tactfully and diplomatically in writing and verbally with all levels of technical and administrative personnel.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and related software (e.g., email, Microsoft Word, etc.) to prepare logs and reports, send and receive emails, perform computer-based training, and timekeeping entry.
- Ability to work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience pulling, splicing, and terminating 5kV and 15kV cable.
- Experience reading electrical diagrams, testing protective relays, and working from drawings.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Safety Code and OSHA Safety Regulations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.