Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Directorate Undergraduate Summer Intern
Students | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for an Engineering Directorate Undergraduate Summer Intern to further their educational goals. You will have the chance to support engineering projects involving research, conceptual design, analysis, or technology development. If you are energetic and enthusiastic with knowledge and interest in at least one of these skill areas: modeling and simulation, mechanical design, electrical engineering opportunities in pulsed power, instrumentation and diagnostics, signal processing, systems engineering, materials research and engineering, advanced manufacturing, or test engineering, this internship could be a good match for you. These positions are in the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Find solutions to real world problems, working directly with a mentor in your field of study.
- Participate in research in assigned area under close supervision.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of engineering research.
- Document and communicate results of technical data generated.
- Share engineering information and promote open dialogue.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Engineering or other related field (e.g., mathematics, physics).
- Ability to work full-time for 10-12 weeks during the summer.
- A track record of outstanding academic performance.
- Eagerness to contribute in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Must have excellent leadership, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with engineering skills such as modeling, python, structural analysis.
- Technical project experience, previous internships, leadership experience.
- Excellent recommendations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.