Refine Search Clear All
Biomedical Scientist- Immunology
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Biomedical Scientist to provide technical support for executing experiments to identify immune correlates of protection and/or mechanism of action induced by nanoparticle-based vaccine candidates. You will expect to learn new skills and be able to implement them independently, as part of a multidisciplinary team. We value diverse perspective and strongly encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job duties will be assigned at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Conduct in vitro and in vivo assays to assess vaccine efficacy and or identify immune correlates of protection.
- Evaluate large data sets to troubleshoot assays as needed.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook and communicate results with relevant team members.
- Ensure that all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional the SES.2 Level:
- Design in vitro and in vivo assays to assess vaccine efficacy and/or identify immune correlates of protection.
- Design and implement multi-color flow cytometry experiments.
- Evaluate large data sets to refine, inform, and design subsequent experiments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Immunology, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Working knowledge of basic immunological techniques, including multi-color flow cytometry and cell sorting, ELISpot, ELISA, etc.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new skills and gain proficiency to work independently
- Experience in a fast-paced environment and able to work both independently and as a team with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient with common software (e.g., Microsoft Office applications) and able to quickly learn new software.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Master’s degree in Immunology, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with multi-color flow cytometry and cell sorting.
- Experience characterizing immune responses in animal models.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in animal handling, various vaccination techniques, and typical molecular biology laboratory instruments.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience working with animal models, and DNA and RNA extraction protocols.
- Working knowledge of nanoparticle platforms and vaccine formulations and administration.
- Working knowledge of protein purification and characterization techniques and experience with RNAseq sample preparation and processing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.