Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist for Optics & Materials Science & Technology (OMST)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical and/or electro-optic systems within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require overtime, off-shift, on-call and/or weekends to accomplish goals; traveling to offsite vendors (local and East Coast) is required. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Provide general technical support for a wide variety of activities, including vacuum, electrical, pneumatic, and plumbing/cooling installations.
- Derive technical information from sketches, drawings, verbal, or written instructions, and subsequently solve fit, interference, and functional electro-mechanical problems.
- Use advanced methods to acquire and analyze basic data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance procedures including machine chemical changes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electro-mechanical components and systems, including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting, and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Independently identify, analyze, evaluate, and report results to complex electro-mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others, checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associates degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Fundamental knowledge and intermediate skills with electro-mechanical technology.
- Experience working with pumps and pumping systems (water, oil, air, and vacuum) and setting up experiments as needed.
- Experience in basic operating principles of lasers, mechanical design, fabrication, opto-mechanical mechanisms, operating principles used in vacuum technologies, electronic/electrical principles, components, or operations.
- Familiarity with clean room and cleanliness procedures.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift equipment, or stand for extended periods of time.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced understanding of complex mechanical technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others while making recommendations.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in machining, precision mechanical assembly, and de-bugging systems in the solution of complex mechanical problems.
- Experience with high voltage power or electronic systems, cables, instrumentation, or data acquisition and controls.
- Knowledge of word processing as well as AutoCAD, Pro-E, or CREO.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.