Refine Search Clear All
National Security Engineering Division Undergraduate Summer Student Intern
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for a continuing undergraduate in the engineering, physics, and computer science fields. Successful candidates will gain practical research experience to further educational goals, while providing technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields. NSED provides engineering solutions to the challenges facing our nation in national defense, homeland security, energy and environment, and fundamental physics.
In this role you will
- Work directly with engineers, scientists and technical mentors to perform technical and/or research assignments in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computational engineering, nuclear and chemical engineering, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Utilize standard software packages common in your discipline to complete common tasks.
- Attend relevant seminars and facility tours.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
- Must be a college or university student in good academic standing enrolled in an accredited institution pursuing an associates or bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, computer science or a related field.
- A sustained record of outstanding academic performance.
- Ability to work full time for ten to twelve weeks during the summer months.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.Communication skills necessary to communicate research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Familiarity with tools associated to your field of study.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.