Refine Search Clear All
Materials Science (Metal Additive Manufacturing) - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/15/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist to independently work on metals-based additive manufacturing. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research to develop a deeper understanding of metal 3D printing, laser-material interactions at metal surfaces, and advanced materials synthesis methods in general. This position is in the Metallurgy and Advanced Microscopy group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and conduct complex experiments related to metal additive manufacturing processes; examples can include x-ray or neutron imaging and diffraction, residual stress measurements, high speed optical imaging, in situ thermography measurements, etc.
- Conduct advanced research to foster a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms that lead to defect formation in additively manufactured materials.
- Develop advanced manufacturing approaches for metals to optimize process-structure-property-performance relationships.
- Provide direction on complex program requirements and deliverables for multiple programs at LLNL, including Weapons & Complex Integration, Global Security, and NIF & Photon Science.
- Convey capabilities and new opportunities to both internal and external sponsors.
- Exert significant influence on technical objectives related to the optimization of material and mechanical properties of additively manufactured metals for NNSA/DOE applications.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with metals-based additive manufacturing and process science, particularly in solidification of metals and alloys.
- Significant experience in materials characterization of metal alloys, including neutron or X-ray diffraction experiments.
- Advanced knowledge in residual stress analysis for metal alloys.
- Advanced knowledge with configuring experiments for in situ examination of microstructure evolution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in printing metal using laser powder bed fusion.
- Experience with analytic software tools.
- Familiarity with thermal imaging systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.