Refine Search Clear All
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SEL.3 Science & Engineering TSL 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Design Physicists
We are seeking exceptional Physical Scientists and Engineers with backgrounds in fields such as plasma physics, radiation transport, atomic physics, nuclear physics, physical chemistry, condensed matter physics, computational physics, or hydrodynamics. Our national-security mission encompasses aspects of computational, theoretical, and experimental physics associated with the complex processes of nuclear explosives. Under limited direction, you will be responsible for advancing our understanding and developing methodologies for important national-security challenges. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Assess the complex physics interactions that take place in nuclear explosion.
- Design and provide analysis of experiments exploring the physics of nuclear explosives.
- Simulate weapons phenomena and perform weapons assessment and certification tasks using physical models in computer codes.
- Define and implement stockpile stewardship for specific weapons systems.
- Present and disseminate research results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed publications, in both open and classified environments, internal and external to LLNL. Responsibilities may also include interacting with external stakeholders, both at DOE/NNSA and across the broader interagency, as well as via offsite assignments.
- Develop expertise in interrelated fields of physics important to weapons assessment and certification.
- Travel minimally or substantially based on needs of projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Independently develop, assess and provide in depth analysis of the complex physics interactions that take place in nuclear explosion where problems may not be well defined.
- Work as technical expert on multidisciplinary team.
- Guide the analysis and lead the design of experiments exploring the physics of nuclear explosives.
- PhD in physics, engineering, or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Demonstrated record of completing outstanding research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Experience with computer-based design and analysis of experiments.
- Demonstrated aptitude for mastering new fields of physics; a record of creativity, physical insight, and breadth of understanding in applications of complex physical processes.
- Experience in using advanced computational facilities for applied physics analysis and conducting applied physics research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and presentation skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience working effectively independently and in a multidisciplinary, team-research environment.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging problems.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of physics, engineering, or a related field.
- Significant experience and ability to lead independent work conducting applied physics research.
- Demonstrated record of leading top quality research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now