Refine Search Clear All
Industrial Hygienist (IH) and Industrial Safety (IS) Professional
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 10/14/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Industrial Hygiene / Industrial Safety Professional on the IMF Integrated Safety Teams (IST) in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate to provide comprehensive Industrial Hygiene (IH) and Industrial Safety (IS) support to LLNL programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and procedures. The primary assignment is in the Integrated Safety Team supporting LLNL institutionally managed facilities, including their decontamination and disposition. You will interact with all levels of personnel and management from the ES&H Directorate and LLNL programs, and external regulatory agencies.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide comprehensive industrial hygiene (IH) and industrial safety (IS) support in areas of assignment to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, local regulations, DOE orders.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and reports of occupational injury/illness/ exposures for possible causes. Prepare documentation and recommend appropriate measures to eliminate or mitigate reoccurrence. Provide emergency response support to IH/IS incidents on-site.
- Evaluate industrial activities; conduct health and safety (H&S) and IH/IS evaluations and inspections of buildings, equipment and apparatus to identify H&S/IH hazards/ deficiencies. Provide recommendations to resolve H&S and occupational exposure issues.
- Review results of H&S compliance audits and inspections, occupational exposure assessments, and provide recommendations for corrections, prevention of recurrence and resolution of non-compliances.
- Write and review technical reports. Review and evaluate new H&S standards, procedures, engineering drawings, and diagrams for conformance to H&S workplace standards. Prepare and review IS/IH documentation including but not limited to Chemical Use and Management, Machine Guarding, Aerial Lifts, Forklifts, Hazard Control and Assessment, Confined Space Entry, Personal Exposure Monitoring and Reports, Hearing Conservation, Respirator Risk Assessment, Qualification and Quantification of Occupational Exposure Risk Rating, IH Monitoring and Auditing, Fall Protection, Cranes and Lift Plans, Material Movement, Electrical Safety, Lockout Tagout, Rigging and Hoisting, Illumination/ Lighting, Material Movement, Excavation and Trenching,.
- Develop, manage, and maintain specific IH and IS written programs as the designated subject matter expert.
- Review facility-level safety plan, work authorization/control documents, safety analysis reports/ assessment documents, engineering designs/drawings, subcontractor H&S submittals (Job Hazard Analyses (JHAs), lift plans, LOTO plans) and other technical documents; develop a routine area surveillance/ inspection plan for specific areas using institutional guidance.
- Satisfactorily complete the IH and/or IS professional qualification requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Independently provide advanced IS and IH support to LLNL functional departments/ programs.
- Mentor less experienced H&S personnel.
- Represent the organization as technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in scientific, technical, health and safety, industrial hygiene or related field, or the equivalent level of demonstrated education, skills and experience.
- Knowledge of IH/IS federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in industrial, laboratory and construction settings. Experience implementing IH programs associated with investigation and demolition of contaminated facilities and impacted sites in both laboratory R&D and industrial settings.
- Experience preparing safety plans and technical reports such as facility-level safety plans, safety analysis reports, and routine area inspection/ surveillance plans, conducting safety audits, and successfully working potential compliance issues with program customers, and external regulators.
- Experience providing emergency response and participation in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving hazards relating to IH and IS. Experience applying incident analysis tools (e.g., fault tree, 5-why causal analysis, blue dragon).
- Experience in providing technical guidance in anticipation, recognition, measurement and control of exposure to physical, chemical, biological, and ergonomic stress factors. Ability to interpret IH monitoring results and compare to legal standards. Ability to qualify and quantify occupational exposures and devise corrective actions.
- Analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement IS and IH actions/solutions for complex problems. Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Effective organizational skills and decision making on priorities and urgent matters. Customer focused, results driven.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced experience in two or more of the following: laboratory research and training, conducting gap analysis, preparing safety plans, reviewing new health and safety standards, providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IS/IH related matters, (e.g., sampling, discipline actions plans), providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents.
- Advanced knowledge of IS/IH federal regulations and other consensus standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment for synergy. Present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, Laboratory personnel, regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- CIH Certification by American Industrial Hygiene Association and/or CSP Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals.
- Knowledge of DOE Orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.