Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/14/2021
Job Code: 984.2 Mechanical Inspector II / 984.3 Mechanical Inspector III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Dimensional Inspectors. You will be responsible for inspection related procedures, techniques, and standards (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing). You will set-up and employ an assortment of measuring tools, gauges, and inspection data acquisition equipment. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Set up and utilize a variety of moderately complex measuring tools, gauges, and inspection data acquisition equipment.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve routine inspection challenges and recommend solutions for moderately complex technical problems.
- Provide inspection and Quality Assurance related documentation that clearly defines and evaluates the measured data for parts and assemblies.
- Provide clear and professional communication to customers including basic analysis and interpretation of inspection data.
- Consistently apply sound quality control methods in a professional and efficient way.
- Under general supervision, make routine decisions and solve moderately complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 984.3 level
- Set-up, utilize, and provide technical direction and training for others on a wide variety of advanced inspection practices, setups and computerized data acquisition equipment, inspection processes, machine controllers and operation.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve advanced inspection challenges and recommend solutions for complex technical problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Machine Tool Technology, Quality Control or Manufacturing Technology or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the machinist/inspector trade, or the equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge and experience using all conventional machine tools as well as a variety of CMM and precision inspection tools required by assigned job location.
- Intermediate level technical skills, knowledge, and experience in inspection related procedures, techniques, and standards (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and tolerancing).
- Intermediate understanding of inspection and metrology related methods, QA standards, tools, and equipment including computerized controllers and related technology.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, under general supervision, in a team environment and in close cooperation with MED team members, engineering, and facility support personnel.
Additional qualifications at the 984.3 level
- Advanced journey level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the inspection or machinist trade with extensive inspection experience including demonstrated proficiency with precision inspection equipment and Quality Assurance.
- Advanced technical skills, knowledge, and experience in precision inspection related procedures, standards, and techniques on a wide variety of precision inspection equipment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience programming and operating Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM’s).
- Experience using PC data file management (e.g., Excel, ASCII, DMIS, IGES, VDA, STL).
- Experience in CAD/CAM programming and with Machine Tool Metrology.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.