Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/14/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor / 390.2 Senior Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Manufacturing Section Supervisors. Specific Work Center assignment will be decided after selections have been made. You will be responsible for the organization and cost-effective utilization of the work force, equipment and materials, and for personnel actions. You will also be responsible for scheduling, establishing priorities, and analyzing skills mix of a multi-disciplined workforce for job assignments, solving manufacturing technical problems, budget management, and monitoring ES&H requirements. These positions are in the Manufacturing Section of the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide daily technical leadership and administrative supervision of the work center/teams including work planning, setting priorities, writing performance appraisals, career development, training, salary, ranking, promotion recommendations, and disciplinary issues.
- Interface closely with LLNL program and/or facility managers, technical contacts, and project engineers to provide broad, integrated engineering and materials solutions to best ensure programmatic and institutional needs are properly met.
- Develop and implement strategic work center planning including quality and workflow processes, tools, and equipment acquisition/repair/maintenance, workforce, and budgetary management for all area shops utilizing significant independent discretion.
- Analyze and interpret complex to highly complex administrative, technical, and budgetary information related to project objectives and translate them into project plans, job requirements, and work assignments.
- Make decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment and resolve multi-project/program requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 390.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related administrative expertise, and define approaches, in the areas of manufacturing and industrial technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Represent division and program at meetings, briefings, and other activities, both internal and external, to the Laboratory on issues of high significance using significant independent discretion and judgement.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Machine Tool Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant experience with manufacturing processes and operations including machining, dimensional inspection, welding, sheet metal, metal forming, laser cutting/welding, and plating.
- Technical leadership skills and ability to work with, and effectively lead a multidisciplinary team with a commitment to technical excellence, performance, quality, cost, and schedule.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and a significant level of independent discretion in high-consequence safety environment, solving complex to highly complex problems in a multi-tasked environment with minimal instruction and supervision.
- Significant experience in project planning, budgeting, and workforce planning.
- Effective written, verbal, presentation, and feedback communication skills in multiple technical areas required to supervise a team.
Additional qualifications at the 390.2 level
- Highly advanced technical leadership skills and extensive experience leading and/or directing the technical work of others including developing schedules, determining technical support level requirements, managing and changing workloads and priorities, and performance and personnel management.
- Extensive experience working effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and experience working independently on a self-directed to provide broad, integrated engineering and materials solutions to best ensure programmatic and institutional needs are properly met.
- Highly advanced verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively explain, present, and advise all levels of personnel, senior managers, the scientific community, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Supervisory experience including performance and personnel management.
- Advanced knowledge of LLNL’s work control and integrated safety management processes and resources.
- Familiar with MED's fabrication control system (COSMOS) relative to job planning, estimating, scheduling, and routing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.