Refine Search Clear All
Astronomy & Astrophysics - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Astronomy & Astrophysics Postdoctoral Research Staff Member who will work with a team of scientists to analyze astronomical data from state-of-the-art time-domain surveys to determine the abundance and properties of black holes in the universe. The successful candidate will use theory and computer simulations to translate these observations into constraints on the fraction of dark matter that is composed of (primordial) black holes and improve our understanding of early universe physics. This position is in the Astronomy & Astrophysics Analytics group in the Applied Physics Section of the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Determine the abundance and properties of black holes in the universe through gravitational microlensing and gravitational wave astronomical observations and implications for dark matter and early universe physics.
- Function as a key member of multi-institution research.
- Analyze astronomical data from the Zwicky Transient Faciliity (ZTF), the Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiement (OGLE), and prepare for the Vera Rubin Observatory Legacy Survey of Space and Time (LSST) and Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics, astronomy, or a related technical field.
- Experience in mathematical or statistical modeling of scientific data (preferably Bayesian analysis).
- Experience with computer programming.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with time-domain astronomical data analysis.
- Knowledge of dark matter and/or early universe physics.
- Experience with high-performance computing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.