Refine Search Clear All
Network Security Analyst
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced Network Security Analyst with a background in network security and an emphasis on operational technology networks. You will contribute to, provide subject matter expertise, and lead research projects in the area of cybersecurity for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks. This position is in Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) of the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead interdisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers on relevant national security projects and oversee analysis of OT and IT network data to identify potential vulnerabilities and indicators of compromise.
- Pursue program development opportunities by co-authoring proposals and proposing ideas that will address sponsor needs. Identify program growth opportunities towards development of custom network scanning and characterization tools for OT environments.
- Present results and provide subject matter expertise across multi-discipline projects engaging with sponsors on a regular basis.
- Test and validate new OT network characterization tools, working with LLNL’s cyber-physical testbed team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Oversee growth of existing and development of new network security capabilities at LLNL.
- Identify new applications and opportunities for network security capability growth and help create vision and technical direction in thrust area, working with program leadership.
- Develop new program growth opportunities through interactions with current and potential sponsors and the development of research proposals.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master’s degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with at least one Programing Language (e.g., C, C++, Java, Python).
- Advanced proficiency using network packet analysis tools (e.g., tcpdump, wireshark, tshark, libpcap), doing network protocol analysis at various layers of the OSI model, and developing network analytics.
- Project leadership experience and ability to work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding, with advanced interpersonal, verbal, and written skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Subject matter expert understanding of and experience with control systems, OT and ICS/SCADA security, communication network protocol development and parsing, reverse engineering, and/or modeling.
- Expert ability to communicate comprehensive knowledge effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts and proficient interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field .
- Experience with Incident Response and threat hunting
- Knowledge of and/or experience with one or more of the following: Penetration testing or red teaming, malware analysis, protocol dissectors and decoders, configuring and maintaining network sensors, and/or configuring and deploying network SIEM solutions.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.