Refine Search Clear All
Design Physics Division Leader - Active Security Clearance Required
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for the Division Leader (DL) of Design Physics (DP) which is comprised of approximately 250 scientists and engineers. You, in collaboration with, the Deputy for Program Enablement (DPEn) will support broader laboratory workforce initiatives and direct tasking on high-priority projects for WCI, LLNL and external university and government partners. You will lead the Division management team consisting of Deputy Division Leader(s), Associate Division Leaders/Section Leaders and Group Leaders. This position is funded at 50% time. The successful candidate will be required to secure the remaining 50% funding within WCI or GS (or continue on current WCI or GS Funding). This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate reporting to the DPEn.
In this role you will
- Establish and execute a framework for the strategic planning, staffing, budgeting, and methods to achieve Division and WCI deliverables. Work closely with the DPEn and other LLNL senior leaders.
- Deliver a skilled staff pool of nuclear weapon designers, ICF designers, hydro experimentalists, and major weapon code physicists to support both WCI and GS programs and in partnership and collaboration with WCI and GS senior leadership.
- Develop organizational strategies in partnership with stakeholder programs to establish and deliver the Design Physics Division staffing needs.
- Manage division operations through Technical Staff Leaders and/or Technical Managers. Communicate division goals and objectives, and accomplishments to Division workforce.
- Evaluate and develop current and future workforce plans in collaboration with LLNL Program Managers. Ensure the highest quality personnel are recruited with essential technical competencies, well-trained, motivated and retained to meet succession planning needs and mission deliverables.
- Establish strategic direction and develop and implement policies to support Division operations.
- Manage and provide direction and oversight for personnel administration activities including performance reviews, performance management, ranking, and salary management.
- Oversee and provide strategic direction for the Division’s affirmative action, outreach, mentoring, and employee development efforts. Foster an environment that promotes diversity, equal opportunity, teamwork, and a professional work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- PhD in physics or a related technical field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience in physics relevant to the Design Physics Division skills, knowledge and abilities including extensive familiarity with LLNL programs, discipline organizations and policies and procedures. Extensive experience sustaining productive relationships with other divisions, directorates, laboratories, and external stakeholders, specifically NNSA management, and the DOE and DoD enterprise.
- Extensive leadership and management experience in a leading edge research and development environment utilizing a high degree of integrity, maturity, discretion and judgement.
- Extensive experience managing and leading a large technical organization, directing Technical Managers and delegating effectively. Extensive experience leading, motivating, and building complex interdisciplinary teams to work toward directorate and institutional goals.
- Significant knowledge of managerial practices and experience effectively balancing budgets and complex workforce priorities to achieve desired results. Expertise in strategic planning and organizational dynamics.
- Significant experience interpreting and implementing organizational policies, procedures, and practices. Experience implementing and managing an integrated safety management program.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, decision-making and organizational skills necessary to independently advise, recommend and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management and government officials.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now