Refine Search Clear All
Signal and Images Science Section Leader (Active Clearance Required)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Section Leader for Signal and Images Science (SIS). The Computational Engineering Division (CED) encompasses many technical experts providing analytical expertise across the Laboratory. The Section Leader will provide leadership across four multidisciplinary groups of engineers, mathematicians and optical scientists focused on the research and development of theories, methods and fieldable system. The core competencies of the Section include digital and statistical processing of signals and imagery; machine learning; control systems; optical systems; and design and implementation of signal and image processing systems. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide leadership, supervision, mentoring and technical guidance to effectively manage and develop a diverse and inclusive team of group leaders, project leaders, and technical staff.
- Lead the management of the section by carrying out or coordinating the day-to-day administrative tasks of the section. These include developing procedures, managing resources, developing staffing plans, developing capital equipment plans and serving as the primary contact between CED Management and the section members.
- Collaborate with potential sponsors, both LLNL programmatic and external, to assess needs and develop partnering relationships with appropriate project leaders.
- Maintain awareness of technical advancements in the signal and image sciences and use this awareness to guide recruitment, proposals, and coordination with the Center for Advanced Signal and Image Sciences (CASIS).
- Provide solutions to highly unusual, complex, and/or sensitive issues/problems where the solution path is not known ahead of time.
- Responsible for the general oversight and personal commitment to the goals of Integrated Safety Management, Integrated Safeguards and Security Management, compliance with all ES&H regulations, good business practices, diversity, and equal opportunity.
- Perform other duties as required.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Apply knowledge and ingenuity to develop and apply cutting-edge principles, theories, concepts, and technologies to advance the signal and image sciences.
- Champion, lead, and develop strategic positions on programs and technologies related to the signal and image sciences.
- Serve as an SME in the signal and image sciences to Laboratory, Program and Directorate senior management.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. Government agency at time of hire.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience in at least one of the core technology areas of the Section.
- Substantial experience in researching, writing, and presenting successful technical proposals to senior management and internal and external sponsors.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence and advise senior management, programmatic organizations, and/or sponsors both internal and external.
- Substantial experience providing technical leadership and working in a multidisciplinary team environment including experience in all phases of project management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others through change in program directions and LLNL policies.
- Knowledge and experience of Laboratory management and structure including supervision, policies and procedures; Directorate policies and procedures; supervision duties, such as participation in performance reviews, ranking, and salary management.
- Broad knowledge and significant experience with the implementation of Laboratory policies and procedures.
Additional Qualifications, at the SEL.5 Level
- Extensive experience interacting and influencing external government sponsors, academia and industry.
- Substantial record of publications and innovation in the signal and image sciences.
- Proven ability to champion, lead, and develop strategic positions on programs and technologies related to signal and image processing.
- Extensive experience attracting and retaining projects, programs, funding, and staff and in planning the integration, management, and implementation of these new programs.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering, Applied Science or Mathematics.
- Experience with the design, prototype and demonstration of experimental methodologies and systems incorporating signal and image processing solutions.
- Experience establishing and developing functional engineering and scientific teams.
- Experience with Engineering Directorate ranking philosophy and procedures.
- Experience in coordinating or executing field operations of experimental systems. Familiarity with the Engineering Policies and Procedures Manual, Design Safety Standards and leading or participating in formal engineering design review processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.