Refine Search Clear All
Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer in support of hypersonics programs. Activities include software development, modeling and simulation of hypersonic re-entry bodies, early feasibility studies, and flight testing. You will contribute engineering solutions for guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) work in support of these programs, from systems requirements trade studies through algorithm design and hardware integration, including test data analyses. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop GN&C software architecture with robust and elegant algorithms.
- Build digital high-fidelity simulation models for ballistic and non-ballistic re-entry bodies.
- Develop optimal control / trajectory optimization software.
- Employ software development best practices including version control, unit testing, and thorough documentation.
- Support concept trade studies and derive GN&C requirements for future systems.
- Validate models using flight test data.
- Contribute as a member of a team with other analysts, code developers, engineers, and subject matter experts to solve technical problems.
- Report technical approaches and publish as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews as required.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex engineering analysis problems.
- Lead the development of new engineering analysis capabilities, such as advanced 3DoF trajectory optimization, 6DoF trajectory optimization, and autopilot design.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proficient knowledge of flight dynamics.
- Proficient knowledge of constrained optimization and control software.
- Object-oriented programming experience, especially in Python, Java, C++, Fortran, and/or MATLAB.
- Experience exercising independent judgment in determining optimal techniques, methods, and evaluation criteria for answering engineering questions.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to effectively work in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with numerical methods and/or numerical optimization.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with one or more of the following trajectory optimization codes: GPOPS-II, OTIS, POST, TAOS, or similar.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: six degree of freedom simulations, trajectory estimation, Kalman filtering, hardware/software integration, verification and validation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.