Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer to join our Manufacturing Group. You will apply manufacturing engineering principles to contribute to and/or lead projects ranging from novel research initiatives to supporting stockpile stewardship programs involving existing and new technologies. You will become familiar with the ongoing priorities of the programs being supported and develop proposals for future contributions to the success of program objectives. This position is in the Material Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide engineering solutions for the manufacturing and inspection processes used in the fabrication moderately complex to complex precision components, including tooling design, procedure development, and uncertainty analysis.
- Perform moderately complex to complex machining and inspection operations and interpret specifications and mechanical drawings.
- Plan and execute on strategies to quantify the performance of new and existing technologies ranging from additive manufacturing to dimensional metrology, and beyond while working under limited direction.
- Solve moderately complex to complex technical issues related to manufacturing operations that require related comprehensive knowledge and broad experience.
- Present technical approaches, project plans, and documentation to peers and program managers.
- Work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Apply advanced knowledge and significant experience in manufacturing technologies and process development including providing technical direction and leadership to cross-disciplinary teams as well as external vendors.
- Manage complex project scopes and schedules.
- Develop research and development proposals independently, under minimal direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive, broad experience and proficiency in modern manufacturing processes and process development and analysis, with a proven ability to apply these to both new and existing moderately complex to complex processes/equipment.
- Broad experience with and comprehensive knowledge of metrology principles and technologies, as well as their related application spaces.
- Comprehensive engineering knowledge associated with moderately complex to complex machining and inspection operations and significant experience interpreting specifications and mechanical drawings.
- Ability to work independently, under limited direction, and collaboratively as part of a team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with responsibility for complex research, design, analysis, prototyping, and early fabrication/assembly/test including leadership skills to lead and manage small, multi-disciplinary teams as well as external vendors.
- Advanced knowledge of complex manufacturing principles and significant experience and knowledge in the design and evaluation of complex precision machines, systems, and processes.
- Independently develop/design moderately complex to complex methods and apparatus for sensing or characterizing material properties.
- Significant experience managing project scopes and schedules as well as developing research proposals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in Additive manufacturing.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on developing relationships and building long-term collaborations with internal and/or external sponsors.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now